Houston continues to be on the rise, serving as a coveted spot for big names events — like All-Star games and Super Bowls — and the city has something special for golfers.
Thanks to Astros owner, Jim Crane, the Houston Open is returning to Memorial Park. The last time it was played at the park was in 1963.
[WATCH LIVE: Mayor Turner, Astros Owner Jim Crane Kick Off The 2020 Houston Open]
Mayor Sylvester Turner, Crane, and the Astros Golf Foundation kicked off the 2020 Vivint Houston Open Golf Tournament Monday at the park. The tournament runs November 5-8. To prepare for the event, the Memorial Park Golf Course underwent an 18-month, $34-million renovation, funded by the Astros Golf Foundation. This year’s tournament will feature an elite field of 132 golfers competing for a $7-million purse for the winner.
“This is a momentous day in the City of Houston, and frankly for the entire region,” said Mayor Turner. “Our City looks forward to hosting some of the best golfers in the world to play the newly renovated Memorial Park Golf Course. I consider the international spotlight on Houston a hole-in-one. It is incredible to think that for the first time in 57 years the Houston Open has returned to the Memorial Park Golf Course, and that could not have been accomplished without Astros Owner Jim Crane and Giles Kibbe with the Astros Golf Foundation.”
While the return of the Houston Open is warmly welcomed, it will impact park visitors and surrounding neighborhoods.
“We worked with the neighborhood and residents to develop a parking and traffic plan to reduce the impact of traffic throughout the area,” said Steve Wright, Director, Houston Parks and Recreation Department. “We hope that runners and visitors to the park will understand and take this opportunity to visit one of our other parks in the system, including over 165 miles of trails.”
For complete information about the impact of the 2020 Houston Open on Memorial Park and surrounding neighborhoods, including full parking information, please visit www.houstontx.gov/parks/pdfs/2020/2020HoustonOpenMemorialPark_ParkingPlan.pdf. Park visitors without a tournament pass are urged to:
- Access Memorial Loop Drive between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Please do not use Memorial Loop Drive between 4:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Use Memorial Loop Drive after 11:00 p.m. to exit the park only.
- Park north of Memorial Drive between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Please do not park overnight or between 4:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Event security will be on patrol.
- Use the Seymour Lieberman Trail between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- Visit the Clay Family Eastern Glades between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- Park south of Memorial Drive during normal park hours. There will be no tournament parking south of Memorial Drive.
- Visit any of the City Houston’s other parks and trails during normal park hours. A list can be found on www.HoustonParks.org.
|The Houston Open will be aired on The Golf Channel. For more information, visit www.HoustonOpenGolf.com.|