Looking for ways to spice up your evening meals? Cooking Professionally has got you covered with these savory, cheesy, melt-in-mouth chicken enchiladas.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
• 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
• 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles (optional)
• Sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
• 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained• 8 large flour or corn tortillas
• 3 cups Mexican-blend shredded cheese
• 1 jar or can (around 10oz) store-bought enchilada sauce (found at most grocery stores)
• Optional toppings depending on preference – fresh cilantro, chopped red onions, diced avocado, jalapeño, and/or sour cream
Set your oven to 350 degrees F (or 176 degrees C).
Using a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Next, add in the onion and sauté it for around 3 minutes or until it is soft. Then, add in the diced chicken and green chiles (If you want, we recommend that you do), and season the mixture generously with salt and pepper to your liking. Continue cooking the mixture for around 6 to 8 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked through. Add together with the beans. Move the pan from heat, then cover, and set aside.
Create an assembly line on a clean surface. Start by laying out a tortilla, and spread 2 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce evenly and completely, add next a large scoop of the chicken filling mixture. Finally, add 1/3 cup of cheese, and roll up the tortilla. Once you have finished rolling up the tortillas, add in a single layer onto a greased dish.
Repeat using the remaining ingredients. Use an additional baking dish if needed. Once all the enchiladas are formed, cover it all with the remaining sauce and cheese.
Bake the dish uncovered for around 25-35 minutes or until the enchiladas are cooked throughout and the cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with your choice of toppings.